Thursday 4 February 2016

Book Review: The 100 - Kass Morgan

Title: The 100
Author: Kass Morgan
Publication Date:  September 3rd 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pages: 323
Link to Goodreads: Here
Part of a Series: Book 1 of the Hundred Series
Plot: No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope. 

Reading Period: February 1, 2016 - February 2, 2016


Review

One of the few occasions when the TV show/Film is better than the book. 

Don't get me wrong, this book wasn't bad, but the TV show on CW is incredible. They took the basic idea and brought to a all new level. 

But we are not here to talk about the show (seriously, though, if you haven't seen it yet, check it out!)

If, like me, you decided to read the book now that we are at season 3, you will be a bit disappointed. Some of the characters are different. We follow the story through four different point of view: Clarke, Bellamy, Wells and Glass.

Glass is not in the show, so she was new character for me. Her story is needed to understand the life on the spaceships, while the other three character are on Earth, trying to survive.

If the show is more about action, survival, conspiracy and war, the book is more about sentiments and relationships. There are a lot of flashbacks that helps you connect the pieces.

My favourite character is Clarke, very strong young woman, she immediately takes charge of the situation, she is driven. The character that I didn't really like is Wells. Other than going to Earth because he wanted to be with Clarke, he has no depth.

So maybe the show influenced my opinion, I love more the action than the romance.

RATING








5 comments:

  1. I love the book and the show, but yes the show has more action. But three books would never be enough to share that many storylines that a TV show can and that's why I'm grateful for both (especially because I'm totally frustrated with Bellarke on the Show I'm glad they'r together in the books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love the show, they really managed to do a great job. And I'm really curious to read the other two books of the series and see how it continues in the book verse.

      Oh, you're going to hate me for this... not really a Bellamy/Clarke shipper, sorry :P
      Maybe in the books I will, but in the show I don't feel the chemistry between the two characters. Not like with Clarke and Lexa.

      Delete
    2. Noooo not Lexa! I mean I would ship the new girl from episode 3.1 & 3.2 with Clarke if there wasn't Bellamy but neever Lexa. She left Clarke and the Sky people to die. And I don't think that there's chemistry between them in the same way as between Bellamy. If you've seen the second episode of the third season you must have seen Bellamy's feelings for her and you can't deny that they're genuine.

      Well, but there are always different opinions and I respect yours (even if I can't comprehend them :P).

      Delete
  2. I tried watching the TV show and didn't like so I wasn't sure about the book but it seems people it so maybe I should try it :) Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already watched the first season of the show and didn't even know there was a book. This is great! Thanks for posting the review :) I'm stopping by from the dystopia challenge and now I'm off to see if I can find a copy of this book!

    Megan @ Doodles 'n Scribbles

    ReplyDelete