Wednesday 30 September 2015

Book Review: The Iron Trial - H. Black & C. Clare

Title: The Iron Trial
Author: Holly Black & Cassandra Clare
Publication Date: September 9th 2014
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 299
Link to Goodreads: Here
Part of a Series: Book 1 of Magisterium
Plot: Most kids would do anything to pass the Iron Trial.

Not Callum Hunt. He wants to fail.

All his life, Call has been warned by his father to stay away from magic. If he succeeds at the Iron Trial and is admitted into the Magisterium, he is sure it can only mean bad things for him.

So he tries his best to do his worst - and fails at failing.

Now the Magisterium awaits him. It's a place that's both sensational and sinister, with dark ties to his past and a twisty path to his future.

The Iron Trial is just the beginning, for the biggest test is still to come . . .

Reading Period: September 03, 2015 - September 04, 2015

Review:  

I must say that I hadn't heard of this series until it appeared as book of the month in two book clubs in Goodreads. 

The Iron Trial is the first book of the Magisterium series. It is classed as middle grade book. In fact the language and story are easy. 

I read different conflicting reviews about it. A lot of people didn't like it because they said it was too similar to Harry Potter.   I can see the similarities with Harry Potter, but the story is unique in its own way. Yes, there are three main characters (two males and a female), an enemy similar to the Dark Lord, a school of magic, but the end will surprise you and you will find out the main character, Callum, isn't exactly the Chosen One.

Personally, I really enjoyed. I read in a couple of days and it was a quick easy going read. 

I know the second book just came out, I hope I'll be able to read it soon.  I also hope it will become a movie. A must read for fans of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson

RATING

No comments:

Post a Comment